Ships and boats are among the most popular models when it comes to replicating them. However, sometimes a model is very rare to find. For example in a submarine. However, you can also build such a submarine yourself – even without using a lot of material.
What you need:
- 1 cigar tube large
- 1 plastic sheet 1.5 mm
- Metal file half round
If you want to build a submarine yourself, it’s not that easy when it comes to the shape of the body, because where can you get such a part without having to laboriously manufacture it yourself. The solution in this area are cigars – and relatively large ones at that. These can be bought in metal sleeves that have this shape. It is precisely these that are required for the subsequent submarine construction.
Building a submarine yourself requires preparation
To build a submarine yourself, first get such a cigar case. Ask in cigar shops, for example, or with acquaintances who are cigar smokers themselves. From time to time, such cases can also be bought at flea markets.
You will also need a plastic sheet, from which the wings will later be made. The adhesive should be suitable for bonding plastic to metal, metal to metal, and plastic to plastic.
The exact size of the submarine cannot be specified here, as the sleeve required can vary in size. However, all parts that are installed should fit together proportionally. Your understanding of size is required here.
Cut out 4 trapezoidal wings from the plastic plate, which will later be attached to the rear part of the sleeve.
- Saw off a suitable piece from the opening of the sleeve, which will later represent the entry and exit tower of the submarine.
- Now cut out parts from the plastic plate that you can glue together to form a suitable propeller. This will later be attached to the rear end of the submarine.
Assembling the submarine
- To build your own submarine, first take the sawn-off part of the cigar case and clamp it very carefully in a vise. Now use the metal file to file out the opening in a semicircle on one side so that it fits exactly onto the sleeve. Now use metal glue to glue this piece to the middle of the sleeve.
- After this has dried, now glue the prepared wings to the rear end of the submarine at even intervals.
- Now glue the propeller to the closure of the sleeve.
- To close the top opening of the tower, cut a suitable piece out of the plastic plate and glue it on top.
- To make the submarine buoyant, you can easily put some sand in the sleeve and spread it evenly. You can also cut out a suitable keel from the plastic plate and glue it to the underside of the sleeve.