If you want to set up a chicken house in the garden according to the building instructions, you can count on fresh eggs every day and will be woken up by the rooster. It is important that the chickens are sufficiently supplied with air and have enough space.
What you need:
- 1 base plate 150 cm x 200 cm
- 1 roof panel 150 cm x 200 cm
- 2 wall panels, 2 boards 150 cm x 300 cm
- 2 wall panels, 2 boards 200 cm x 300 cm
Build the chicken house according to the instructions
- You first need a wooden board that is suitable as a floor covering. It should be at least 150 cm wide and 200 cm long for six chickens. The bigger your chicken house gets, the better. The chickens then have more space and can move around more freely.
- Place the base plate on the floor and now attach the individual walls. They should be at least three meters high.
- Bolt the walls and attach small support beams.
- Now saw an 80 cm x 200 cm opening in one of the two 200 cm x 300 cm wall panels. This will be your door. Attach hinges to the sawn out wood and screw the hinges. According to the building instructions, your chicken house will already have a door.
- Now saw out about half a square meter from the opposite wall. This will be a window. Attach a wire mesh to it with a staple gun. It is important that you can close this window with a glass plate. You can attach this glass plate immediately. If this option is missing, it will be too cold for the chickens in winter.
- Now attach the roof panel firmly. You should then seal them with roofing felt. If the roof is screwed on in such a way that you can loosen it again in a few simple steps, this is very practical for cleaning. So you can remove the roof and clean everything with a water hose.
- According to the assembly instructions, the stall should now have a chicken flap that is approx. 25 cm wide and 40 cm high. Saw out wood here again and fasten it with hinges.
- Attach a chicken ladder under the hatch.
How to equip the chicken house
- Your chicken house must now be equipped with perches and manure collecting boards, laying nests and a feeding bowl as well as a feeding trough.
- Simply screw the perches to the inside of the chicken house. To do this, you can drill small drill holes in advance.
- Lay out dropping boards on the floor. This makes cleaning easier.
- The manure boards must be attached approx. 50 cm above the floor slab. So the chickens can scratch around underneath.
- Lay out at least two laying nests. For this you need hay.
- Place a food bowl and waterer at a height of 20 cm.